Okay, so you are not in receipt of benefits or a DWP allowance. Hopefully, we can find another way.
Local Authority Flexible Funding.
Local Authority flexible funding is normally referred to as LA Flex.
There is in fact, only one pot of money for the First Time Central Heating scheme, and that is called HHCRO funding, and it can only be accessed by those in receipt of a benefit or an allowance.
However, the Government decided to put 25% of that pot of money aside, and called it the “Local Authority flexible fund“.
It is not local authority money, but the Local Authority sets the qualifying criteria required to access that money.
What is the qualifying criteria for LA Flex?
The criteria is flexible, using a number of factors to qualify, such as the energy rating of the property, the ages of the occupants and the health of the occupants.
However, the local authority only sets the criteria for it’s own administrative area, and every Council has a different criteria, which means that in Wales there are 22 different sets of rules.
This is a list of the main factors taken into account by most of the Councils for qualification.
- The energy efficiency of your property?
- Number of bedrooms at the property?
- Number of people living at the property?
- How much existing Loft insulation at the property?
- What type of walls is the property built of?
- Have the walls at the property been insulated?
- What is the heating fuel used at the property?
- Percentage of Disposable Income spent on fuel?
- Anyone aged over 60 living at the property?
- Is there a child under the age of 5 living at the property?
- Is there a pregnant woman living at the property?
- and so on …….
To make things worse, the LA Flex scheme is not obligatory – the Councils don’t have to take part in it – some do, some don’t and some might (well, that was their view before Covid 19)
Which Welsh Councils are taking part in LA Flex?
The 22 Councils of Wales are listed below, in alphabetical order. It also indicates as to whether they do, don’t or might.
- Blaenau Gwent County Borough Council – YES
- Bridgend County Borough Council – NO
- Caerphilly County Borough Council – MIGHT
- Cardiff Council – NO
- Carmarthenshire County Council – YES
- Ceredigion County Council – YES
- Conwy County Borough Council- YES
- Denbighshire County Council – CURRENTLY SUSPENDED, BEING REVISED
- Flintshire County Council- YES
- Gwynedd Council- YES
- Isle of Anglesey County Council- YES
- Merthyr Tydfil County Borough Council – NO
- Monmouthshire County Council- YES
- Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council- MIGHT – NOT YET SIGNED OFF
- Newport City Council- NO
- Pembrokeshire County Council- YES
- Powys County Council- NO
- Rhondda Cynon Taf County Borough Council- YES
- City and County of Swansea- YES
- The Vale of Glamorgan County Borough Council- NO
- Torfaen County Borough Council- YES
- Wrexham County Borough Council – NO
To find out more, or to request a no obligation survey